Re: 164 sterring rack -- time to replace?

95% of the time it is the high pressure hose from pump that leaks.
It is impossible to see the leak because it is leaking inside
of its rubber protective cover.  It will flow down to front
( driver side ) to make it look like the rack is bad.

Karl

The steering rack has always leaked slightly -- at
least since I bought the car last summer with 24K on
the odometer. However, the power steering reservoir
has never gone below the proper level. The banjo
fitting and hose are tight.

Lately I've noticed a bit more play in the steering,
especially at low rpm driving around time. When I go
over bumps or potholes, the steering wheel moves fore
and aft a lot more than I remember. Does the rack need
replacing? What exactly wears out? The pinion shaft?
Rack bushings? Could the problem be with other
suspension components?

Any comments are appreciated.

paul cuadra69@domain.elided (please pardon this most
absurd electronic nom de guerre -- yahoo already had a
cuadra66).

95 164LS 5-speed (33K)
97 Moto Guzzi 1100i
<<