How I fixed Auto Transmission fan

When I bought my 94 164LS one and half year ago.
The first thing I noticed when turning transmission fan
by hand was it wobbled a lot and hit the radiator and stop.
It was like a cheap toy.   I adjusted it so it stay
clear of radiator and wobbled less but cannot make it
perfect.  Then one day I decided to see if the fan motor
works.  Looking at diagram, I feed the wire that
supposed to turn on relay and fan. But relay didn't
switch.  I removed the relay and found it worked.
The fan motor works too.

Using multi tester I found wiring to relay is incorrect.
It totally disagreed with wiring diagram.  I thought the
car mechanic has rewired it the wrong way when it was broken.
It will require a lot of rewiring to correct this.  I didn't
want to do it.

Until six months later, I decided to put an electronic
coolant after-run radiator fan delay to keep things cool
even after turn off engine.  Then I decided to correct the
rewiring of transmission fan circuit as well.  As I was
studying the electric diagram, I noticed that the relay
included with after-run kit can plug into most of relay
seats but has different pin out names.  In other words,
it can plug into most of 164 relay seat but will not work
because the pins at wrong locations.  Then I found if I
replaced this relay with the transmission fan relay I have,
it matched the diagram correctly.  So it was the mechanic
that put the wrong relay !  I am so glad because I was just
ready to cut the wires and rewire them to correct this !!!

Now I noticed the fan come on when doing like mountain road
driving and sometimes under hot weather condition.

Noted that after 94 164's, the relay is also under trasnmission
computer control.  For pre-94 164's, it is under only thermo
switch control.

Karl
92 164S
94 164LS auto