Re: alfa-digest V7 #1083 - Alfa Hardtops

Lucy,
    There are at least two factory hard tops for late model spiders.  The
Graduate, Veloce and Quadrifoglio spiders are all basically the same body
from 70 through 94.  As far as I know, hardtops will interchange from all
those years.  The  earlier Duetto/roundtail/cuttlebone/pinch butt spiders
have a different windshield shape and hardtops will not interchange.
    The factory made the hardtop I have in the mid to late 1970's.  All I
have seen were in black vinyl over steel.  I guess the vinyl could be removed
and the steel painted to match the car.  I gave $300 for mine, but had to
replace all the rubber.
    The other hardtop came standard on (all?) the Quadrifoglio versions from
1985 through 1990.  These have heated rear windows and a quarter window.  The
Quad hardtops seem to be more expensive.  I have seen them advertised in Alfa
Owner and other places for $800 to $1,000.
    Twenty years ago, I bought a new Parrish Plastics hardtop for a Duetto.
Just yesterday, I saw an old Parrish Plastics hardtop on a 76 spider.  It
looks a lot like the early factory hard top, but is fiberglass and easily
painted.  I do not know if they are still in business.  I have not seen their
ads for some years now.
    There, all the mis information I have about Alfa Hardtops.  Or at least
about late model hardtops.  I do have one Pininfarina and one fiberglass
hardtop for my 63 Giulia spiders.
    I know of an early factory hardtop that I have heard MAY be for sale in
Tulsa, Oklahoma.  I can provide you a phone number if you are interested.  In
what part of the world are you located?  (One of my pet peeves is people
advertising to buy or sell something with no indication of where in the world
it is located.)

    Just as an interesting side story, my wife was driving her former 87
Graduate spider with the early factory hardtop in place.  She came home from
work one day complaining about the noise of water sloshing around somewhere
in her car.  We pulled off the hardtop and found several inches of water
sitting in the folded convertible top.  It had rained heavily the prior day,
but how the water got in there, I do not know.  I did order all new
weatherstipping for the hard top, but it has been in storage ever since then.
 My wife has both her spiders in the garage and all my Alfas have to go
outside or at other locations.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City
91, 87, 84, 82, & 63 Alfa Spiders
plus some Alfa Sedans and parts cars

In a message dated 10/08/1999 3:06:18 PM Central Daylight Time,