RE: 164 A/T cooling fan

Curtis Norheim wrote "My 164 A/T went out at around 120K. It started
slipping very bad. while replacing the Trans
I checked out the transmission fan and realized that,
 A.  it wasn't coming on...."

First, I guess I don't think 120K is premature failure.

Second, it is my understanding that the auto tranny cooling fan only comes
on when/if the tranny overheats and that is darn rare.   It is not meant to
be operating all the time.  I think it even triggers a fault light (I don't
have my book handy) on the dash if it comes on. It would not hurt to check
the fan/relay combo periodically but do not expect the fan to be running
unless there is a more serious problem.

Jerry in Houston

End of alfa-digest V7 #1082