Milano with no heat

Well its getting colder here and my heater doesn't work.  Looked under the dash and the cable to the valve was
off. Turning the valve on by hand gets heat but its a little hard to adjust at 80 mph.
When I put the cable back on the valve I discovered that the temperature adjustment knob (the middle one)
doesn't move the cable.  Probably why the PO took the cable off.  Also, the direction knob (the one on the left)
does not appear to work either.
Are both of the knobs strictly cable operated or do the have some electronic actuator and switch (please tell me
that my Milano doesn't have a, dare I even say it, ...stepper motor).
Also, how do I get to the back of the switches without taking the entire dash out of the car.
I'm getting married in ten days, but these cold feet are for real.

Kevin Smith
Nashville, TN
86 Spider
87 Milano