GTV bumper bolts and related mods

It's definitely do-able, and I've seen lots of folks around Berkeley just
remove the overriders on their 1750 or 2000 GTVs.  You just undo the two big
bolts and two little ones, take off the bumper, remove the overrider, which
is held on only by the through-bolt, and re-bolt on with a suitably shorter
10x1.25mm bolt.  But that always leaves the bolt-heads sticking out (which
were previously covered by the overrider rubber), and I wondered if there is
a more "factory" way to do this.

I'm doing a couple things at once.  I probably will leave off the overriders
because I think it looks better that way, and I'm probably switching to the
72 bumper instead of the stock 74 because (1) the one I have happens to be
straighter,  and (2) it has the license lights in the bumper, and I want to
remove the "shelf" license light piece from the rear panel, which would
leave me with no license light.  Not that I care very much, but the police
might.

I probably will also "shave" off the rear side marker lights, and replace
the front side marker lights with the smaller rectangular ones off a 67-era
GTV.  I think they look lots better, and will fit in the original hole with
minimal changes (though the 2000 marker light holes are slightly higher on
the fender than the 1600 holes).  So will the late Euro button-type
sidelights fitted to 2000 Euro cars, which are available from Linea Rossa in
Florida for like $9 each.  They look pretty good too.

Andrew Watry
Bekeley, CA
GTV now devoid of trim; leap of faith in choosing body shop coming soon