Milano/75 Rear Transaxle Inner Bearing

A general question for the collective wisdom of the
digesti..... Has anyone experienced the rear inner
bearing needing replacement on the Milano/75
transaxle.  This bearing is inboard of the brake
rotors and is directly a part of the
transaxle/differential housing.  Mine is on its last
gasp, emitting a horrible grinding noise and
vibrations at speed (never, ever above the maximum
posted limit of 65 mph - honestly officer - it just
appears that way 'cause of those sharp angular lines).
 My mechanic has said that in his years of working on
Alfas, he has never seen this before.  My 89 Milano
has 87,000 miles on the odemeter.

Any thoughts on repairing/replacing?

John Wright
89 Milano Gold America