GTV6 A/C questions

ciao Alfisti!

I was lucky enough to find a complete air conditioning system for my GTV6. I
say lucky because only very few GTV6 (and cars in general at this time) were
equipped with A/C in Europe.

Before I install it on my car, I would need some advice, and I have several
questions:

- -what is the grey tube coming from the temperature regulator?
I assumed it was a fluidic temperature sensor, but it comes out of the
heater box, and it looks like it should touch the copper coil attached to
the heater valve, and as far as I understand, the temperature sensor of an
AC system should touch a cold part of the system?!
So basically, what are these grey tube and copper coil for, and where should
they go?

- -R12 to R134 conversion
People were talking about this conversion on the digest for some time, and
it seemed to be a rather complicated modification. But I recently read an
article in a German magazine (Oldtimer Markt, September 99) saying that the
only things to change are the O-rings and the compressor oil. They did it on
a 1970 Mercedes, and it apparently worked pretty well.
Since I am rebuilding everything, I will install a new compressor. I was
thinking of using a late 164 (R-134) compressor. Is it possible?

- -I will also replace the filter/dryer. Is the original one compatible with
R134?

- -What is the "tropic air" system people are sometimes referring to?

- -Is there any other trick or anything I should be aware of?

Thank you for your help!

Marc, Switzerland
'85 GTV6 "Grand-Prix"