Automatic Sport Sedan

In AD7-1063 Mark Mercer asks about checking & adding fluid to Alfa Sports
Sedan Automatic box; "I cannot seem to find any reservior or dipstick, please
help."

Help (such as it is) is in Publication #2616, "Supplement to Owner's Manual"
for the Sport Sedan Automatic, which he should have along with #2576, the
main Owner's Manual for the Sport Sedan; if he can't get one through a dealer
he can get a photocopy from the AROC Technical Librarian. Checking is done
with a warning light and test push-button to left of the steering column with
the engine idling, car level, and selector in "P"; the light should light
when the button is pushed.

The next step- replenishing the fluid, or checking further if the light
doesn't light- was covered in a recent post (about the Milano automatic, the
same box) by Abe Kheraz:
"To add fluid to the auto transmission you need to go under the car, open a
plug near the fluid level sensor on the transmission and use a syringe-type
apparatus
or something else that would provide the same function to add fluid."

"There were two (may be more) methods discussed on the AD regarding the
subject of adding fluid to the auto trans.  Some say the engine should be at
operating temp and running while adding the fluid.  Others say add fluid then
start, then add and start again until enough fluid is added.  I do not know
which method is the correct one.  I need help from fellow digester on this
one.  Can someone correct me if I am wrong?"

The Sport Sedan Owner's Manual Supplement is not crystal clear on this, but
my reading is that the checking and replenishing is with the engine running.
The fluid level sensor Abe referred to is on the passenger's side near the
rear of the sump below the transmission; the plug he refers to is also a
source of possible ambiguity, as there are two plugs on the sensor housing;
the upper one, facing forward, is where the level is checked if the light
doesn't light; the lower plug, facing the rear, is used for filling the
transmission when changing the fluid with the engine not running.

I did not see a follow-up on-digest to Abe's question; there is enough
ambiguity that I feel the wisest course is to have, and read, the Owner's
Manual - -

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.