'74 Berlina for sale, SF bay area, $700

Howdy,

Sadly, I have decided that I must put my Berlina up for sale.  It's a
wonderful car, but it needs some attention and I need to spend what
little spare time I have on the GTV.

Some history: I bought it originally from the esteemed Andrew Watry
about a year and a half ago.  It's been used mostly as a daily driver,
and even carried Ben Dixon and his cohorts around most of the Western
US.

The car: '74 2000 Berlina (registered as a '73, hence no smog required
in CA). Located in Palo Alto, CA.  I'm asking $700.

What I've done:
 - replaced the head gasket
 - replaced the microswitch on the SPICA pump
 - recently replaced the points/condenser.

What it needs: A new battery; the current one will hold a charge for
about a week or so, and is clearly on its way out.  It could use new
tires.  During the epic western tour, it developed a pull to the right
on the front end.  The reverse lights seem to be permanently on, but
this is probably just a bad connection at the transmission.  The
speedo cable is broken, but there's a new one in the trunk.  The water
temperature gauge shorted out, causing a brief interruption to Ben's
trip outside of Reno, NV.  Ben has expertly replaced the wiring, and
so everything is functional but a new water temp. gauge is needed.

The car is rusty.  However, Ben had to replace the windshield during
his trip and in doing so did some fine Bondo work in some of the
more suspect areas.

At one point I was having trouble with water leaking from the front
engine cover, but some Alumaseal has fixed that problem, and no
leakage was noted during the epic western tour.  The car likes to use
oil.

Hmm, so at this point the car probably doesn't sound like the dream
car that you've always wanted.  However, it runs very well, the engine
is very strong, the SPICA system functions beautifully, and it's never
left me stranded.  The transmission is pretty darn good, and with a
little double clutching it's perfect.  You will be able to drive it
home, and with a little TLC it would function beautifully as a daily
driver.

I'm sure I've forgotten something.  If you have any further questions,
let me know.

Marc Alley
Palo Alto, CA
650.498.5581 (W)