Variable valve timing device

Need some information on this gizmo.  My 86 spider had the entire electromagnet hanging out of its housing as
the rubber seal had broken down.  Car ran fine without it but when I had to pull the radiator to replace a broken
fan and shroud I took it off to make room and figured I would try to make it right.
Used gasket material to try to remount the elecromagnet to its housing and bolted it back on.  Trouble was, in
reinstalling it, the pushrod was fully depressed and my idle went to hell.  Right now the housing is attached to the
valve cover and the electromagent is resting conviently beside the coil.
I assume that the pushrod is supposed to be fully extended (out) at idle and pushed in at some point to adjust the
valve timing.  Is this correct?  When should it engage?  What performance difference should I note if it is working
properly vs. not having it?
The shop manual I have is very unclear on this thing.
Thanks in advance.

Kevin Smith
Nashville, TN

86 Spider