re: 88 Spider THUNK

At 11:05 AM -0400 9/18/99, alfa-digest wrote:
>When I take my foot off the accelerator, or when I'm coasting and step on
>the accelerator, a "THUNK"
>sound comes from the differential area.  Sounds like a U-joint, except that
>I haven't noticed any
>vibrations.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.
>
>John Adkins
>88 Spider Veloce

John:

Had the same problem with my '89 spyder.
I'm told that the motor mounts allow the motor to sag after a period
of time.  That allows the motor to sag a bit, just enough to hit the
crossmember under the transmission.  I wasn't able to do the work
myself since I had just pulled a back muscle.  However, as soon as
this was done the thunk stopped.

Good luck,
Fred Sacks
89 spyder
88 milano 3.0  Hit in the rear and for sale.