Coil Spring Questions

Hi all,

I am getting ready to install new springs on the 2600 and I noticed that =
the rubber tube which covers the first coil of the spring is (big surprise)=
 extremely deteriorated.

What purpose does this tube serve?  Is it to reduce squeaks?

Does anyone know of a source or substitute?

Could I achieve the same effect by coating the first coil or so with =
Plasti-Dip (the stuff for coating tool handles) ?

Thanks in advance for any help.  Hope everyone's Alfas survived FLoyd OK.

Dan Scolaro
Phila, PA

65 2600 Spider
87 Milano Gold