Uh Oh, 164 Problem--I Think

While starting my 1991 164L this morning I heard a really bad/loud
"knocking" noise emitting from the engine.  Once the car was started the
noise went away.  Later on in the day while starting the car, I heard
the same noise.  Again, the noise went away.

This noise reminds me of a noise I once heard from a Buick of mine--I
eventually was told I was losing a rod.  I do not want to jump to
conclusions, but it sounds like a rod.?  Maybe.

The engine has 110000 miles on it and it seems to be running strong.
Could the oil pump be fading or something worse.

Any suggestions?

Chip Schug