milano emissions

My '89 Milano gold failed the emissions test for HC (210ppm/162ppm
allowed) and NO (1621ppm/1163ppm allowed).  My car has a full stebro
system, w/o cat, and I hope to get it to pass with out buying a new
cat.  I have heard from several people that a milano can sometimes pass
our Atlanta emissions test even w/o the cat.  I have sense replaced the
02 sensor and can tell that the car now is running leaner (no more
hesitation when cold, but it's slower than it was!), but I am sure that
more needs to be done before I can get it to pass.  What can I do now?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The car already has had all of
the obvious done: plugs, wires, timing, valve adj.  Thanks, Ray Curtis,
Acworth Ga