RE: Tyres, aspect ratio, and speedo accuracy

Les in New Z writes:
<<It intrigues me that some people who drive Alfas and ostensibly bought one
because it is a performance car, would opt for a tyre size simply because
it maintains speedo accuracy - whatever that may mean. Checked your speedo
lately? Does anyone have a problem working out 10% of a value?>>

I couldn't agree more on this.  What is the real problem?  I personally
think that an Alfa 75/Milano would look better on a slightly bigger
tire/wheel combo, would let a lowered car sit a bit higher for bottom
clearance, cover the wheel better and look aesthetically better
proportioned.  I haven't seen a 75 with 16" with a bigger OD than stock, but
I'd bet it would look right.  As long as it clears the fender and calipers.
Aside from inaccurate speedo reading, and slower acceleration, any other
unwanted effects?
Jorge
Redlands, CA USA (free local calls, 19,95/month for ISP flat rate)
89 Milano Verde 205/50/15 (instead of 155 mph, could reach 170 with bigger
tires :))