Re: FIAT/FORD

Keith Walker said:

> To be honest, I suspect the best bet would be on a Fiat / Mitsubishi
> merger. They are already co operating and have a fairly small
> overlap in their markets. Also, Mitsubishi has been left at the alter
> by Volvo being bought by Ford.
>
> Maybe FIAT will talk to Ford, but there is too much overlap for
> the result to be a success. FIAT itself would be a direct Ford
> competitor, Lancia is too small to worry about and Alfa is too
> close to how Ford views Volvo.
>
> All the best
>
> Keith

Oh thank you Keith, I was almost thinking that my worst nightmare
could come true and Ford would buy FIAT (and Alfa, Ferrari...)

Ford would be about the worst possible owner of all.

Someone on the list said Ford would have both Ferrari and Jaguar
teams in Formula One... No, what it would mean is Ford would have
a wider choice of badges for their F1 car to wear, this year Ford,
next year Jag, next year Ferrari .. opps no we want to promote
the new Volvos, lets make it a Volvo next year.

Speaking of Volvo, if you see what is happening to Volvo in
BTCC next year, then that would be the likely future of Alfa
in Touring car racing or any sort of racing under Ford ownership.

And where would Maserati fit into Fords plans, except as another
badge for some underpowered, understeering Lincoln or Mercury?

Mitsubishi would seem to be a much better fit.

Alex Jenner - In New Zealand where we get Mazdas with Ford Badges
and don't want to see Mazdas/Volvos etc with Alfa badges.