Re: Problem with 89 Spider

Elizabeth:
This one is easy, you've observed vital information and reported it.
Your voltage regulator is allowing your alternator to overcharge the
battery.

My wife and I drove from Montreal to Toronto in our Alfetta GT after the
1981 Detroit National Convention.  We thought what a industrial/polluted
stinky city Toronto must be as there was this noxious sulphur smell as
we entered the city's environs.  It pretty much went away after we
crossed into the US and we made it all the way through Louisville, KY
before the battery ran totally out of water.

Instrument needles all dropped to zero and we coasted to the side of the
road. Fan belt still attached? Yup, that's when we checked the battery
in the trunk and found it was dry. Ask Diana about waiting by the side
of the road while I went for some help.

Any way, have your alternator serviced and you should be fine. And check
the water in your battery and top it up if it's low. You can go for a
while with a 14 v. charge as long as you have water in the battery.

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX USA