164 TS won't start

Hi all,

did some crawling under my car tonight.  Problem not resolved, but more
questions.

1.  Which is the fuel pump?  Is it the cylindrical object just under the
filler
    hose?  approx 2" in diameter, 4" in length, hose entering and exiting
on the
    axis?

    Also, could not see electrical wires leading to this thing.

2.  With the key in the "normal run" position but engine NOT started yet,
    should the fuel pump:
     a.  come on immediately, run for a moment, then stop?
     b.  run continuously as long as the key is in "normal run" position?

    I ask because there is no buzzing sound.  Even when I give (what I think
    is) the pump a few taps with a rubber mallet, the pump does not start.

    Is this a failing pump?

3.  When engine is running, there is a loud buzzing sound.  Is this the pump?

4.  When left to sit for more than 30min, it is difficult to start.

    When I turn off the engine, and restart within 5-10min, it catches
quickly.

    Could this be a combination of a failing pump and a pressure regulator?

5.  Where is the fuel pump relay?  The only 3 relays I could find in the boot
    are the rear window demist, petrol cap release, & trunk release.

What I could not do:
- - test for spark when cold
- - test for fuel pressure

To recap the problem & symptoms:

- - car used to start almost immediately.
- - lately, would only catch after 2nd or 3rd cranking.
- - Battery voltage (at terminals):
   - 12.4-12.5V when engine off,
   - 11.2-11.5V when cranking,
   - climbs up to 13.95 to 14.05 within 5 sec of engine firing.
   - caps at 14.05 above 2000rpm.
  So, battery and charging system looks ok.
- - Once it catches, it hunts twice between 500 and 900rpm, then
  settles to 900rpm idle.  After that, the car runs great.

This sounds like a fuel system delivery, but I could be wrong.  Anyone has
any pointers/similar experiences?

Thanks in advance
Lawrence

86 33 1.5 QV (for sale)