Spider starting gremlins

Spiros,

I have experienced the same condition on my 74 spider.
You turn the key, and all you hear is 'click', turn the key again and she
roars like a tiger.

I suspected the cable running from the starter to the ignition switch, and
changed it last year.
The problem disapeared for over a year, and two weeks ago, the problem came
back.

Last year I found an article in the Saluti entitled "When things Click but
nothing Cranks"
The article deals with this condition in Spica cars and details how to
resolve it.

The problem they describe seems to be related to the ignition switch having
to energize both the ignition switch and the cold start solenoid.
After several years of contacts pitting and corroding, they have trouble
energizing the two solenoids.

Here's the URL

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/spicrela.html

Good Luck