HVAC distribution drum ring broken?

Hi all,

I've got an interesting problem with my HVAC on my 164.  My stepper motor
seems to be working, but the air distribution seems to be stopped in one
spot (defrost).  I've read the 164FAQ and there seems to be a connector
between the stepper motor gearbox and the drum which can break.  I've got a
RHD model, so the stepper motor can be seen easily by removing the dash, and
I can even get at the clip which holds the stepper to the mounting bracket,
and release it, but the motor/gearbox will still not release, is the drive
mechanism held in place by anything else apart from the tabs at the front
and back of the gearbox??  Or is it simply a push in fit?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Stuart Thomson