Headlight Advice

Am currently using 55/60 Hella H4 in my 164, but just picked up a set
of Japanese "SuperWhite" H4s last night.  Time permitting, I'll get
to install them this afternoon.  The labelling is all in Japanese,
but an amateurish translation tells me it's 4000K colour temp,
same power consumption as a 55/60, but gives light output of 100/110
due to a super white diamond coating (whatever that is).  No DOT
approval needed here.

They also have a diamond blue version.  Cost is about 2-3 dollars
more each than the Hellas and Fiamms.

I'll let you all know if my headlights melt.

>I'm planning on replacing the headlights on my GTV6 with something
>brighter than the stock units.  I have Hella H4's and H2's (high beams)
>on my 69 GTV and think they work well.  Is there anything else that I
>should consider for the GTV6, or is this still the way to go?  I've seen
>ads for what I think is a newer product, called Hellavision.  Any
>experience or opinions on these lights?  Also, are the PIAA "9000 Super
>White Series  Bulbs" that I see advertised in the car mags good?  The
>ads claim that these are "whiter & bighter than any other bulb, and most
>like natural sunlight".  How different are these newer products from the
>tried and true H4's?  Lastly, the newer products all specify that
>they're DOT approved and 50 state legal -- based on the brightness of my
>H4/H2 combo when all 4 lights are on, I suspect I may be bending or
>breaking the law.  Are H4's/H2's street legal?

If I'm not mistaken, H4 refers to a type of bulb, so if the new bulbs
are H4, they should give the same light pattern, no?

Cheers
Lawrence

86 33 1.5 QV (for sale)
92 164 2.0 TS