Which came first

<<<<<
This does remind me of a scene in Gumball Rally (the Cannonball Run movie
knock off which was in many ways better than the overdone original).

To humbly and respectfully set the record straight, "Gumball Rally" was the
first movie, having been released in 1976.  "Cannonball Run" was the
knock-off, having been released in 1981.  I also read somewhere that First
Artists (the production company of "Gumball Rally") sued Burt Reynolds'
production company for copyright infringement and won most of the profits
from "Cannonball Run" and "Cannonball Run II".

I personally think that "Gumball" is by far the better movie.  It would
also make a great vanity plate for a first-generation Miata.

Howard K. Warren, Little Rock, AR
1988 Milano Platinum, "SnowHawk", 163k miles
1991 164L, "Peregrine", 61k miles
1984 GTV-6, "Falconi", 133k miles
1993 Mazda Miata, "GUMBALL", ... NOT! <g>