Rattle in engine

Hello all,

I have just purchased a restored GTV 2 litre '81 model from my brother. The
only reason he sold it was that his larger family had made it impractical.
The engine was rebuilt around 20K kilometres ago (12K miles approx) where
the head was fixed up along with new sleeves, pistons, rings, bearings
crankshaft etc.

The exhaust needed replacing when I bought it and new clutch etc. which I
knew about. I noticed a noise at certain revs which to me sounded like a
bush or something  under the gearstick so I didn't bother too much about it
knowing the history of the car and I was going to fix it. Anyhow all that
was repaired and when I went back the mechanic who did the work reckons
that the noise is coming from the motor and could be something more serious
but couldn't tell me more unless he had a closer look at it that wasn't
possible at the time.

I'm going to take it to someone else for a second opinion next week but in
the meantime would appreciate any opinions on what to look for. The noise
starts around 2,800 revs and dissapears around 3,000 revs or so. To me (now
that I'm listening closer to it ), it sounds the same as if the engine was
slightly pinging.

I don't have any tools with me at the moment but I was wondering if it
could be the timing chain adjustment. If not what are the horrible
alternatives?. My brother had a new timing chain put in at the time of the
engine rebuild but I don't think it has been adjusted for a while.

Any opinions would be most appreciated. I'm getting a little nervous as I
thought that no way that a rebuilt engine with as little mileage as this
one could have any serious internal faults without really abusing it, which
I KNOW for a fact my brother has not done.

Thanks in antcipation,

Vic
Vic Wolyncevic (Brisbane - Australia)
ACTUAL Computer Solutions Pty. Ltd.