Moss at Monterey

Simon Favre said:

"There are many who are asking if Stirling should be
relegated to pace car duty as he seems to lack the
proper judgement to be driving among cars that are no
longer considered disposable."

While it's true that Moss's pass attempt sounds like
questionable judgement, we have to remember the
considerable difference between the American and
English attitudes towards vintage racing. We are
appalled at the way the Brits go hammer-and-tongs with
cars we see as precious, fragile relics; the Brits are
appalled at the namby-pamby way we mince around the
track, avoiding any chance of bumping into anyone at
all, instead of just bloody RACING the cars as they
were meant to be raced.

"No longer considered disposable" misstates the case:
to the English vintage enthusiast, any car that has
not been sent to the crusher or consumed by fire is
repairable, and they can and do repair them, often by
taking a pair of rusty frame-rails and a radiator and
building the car around those. They can do this
because every other former dairy barn or stable in
England seems to house a shop devoted to
coachbuilding, instrument repair, wheel building or
similar mechanical pursuits. In this country, we're
damned lucky if we have one body shop in town that can
do anything beyond paint and Bondo.

Will Owen
Nashville, TN