No-start Spider finally gets driven / storage of fuel pump

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on my dad's '86 Spider Grad.

Last night we installed a new fuel filter and replaced both fuel pumps with
used parts from APE (we had previously drained the five year old fuel).
Once everything was buttoned bach up we added fresh fuel and after cranking
it for a few seconds, it started right up.  We checked out the brakes and
then took it for a *brief* test run.

Ahh...the beautiful music from the Alfa's exhaust that I've missed so much.
Now all that is necessary is to wash off five years of accumulated dust,
take care of a few maintenance items, reinstate the insurance, and renew the
license tags.  Now if I can just just convince him to park her in my garage
where I can give her the attention she deserves and the workout she has so
sorely been missing.

Now for my question:  It turns out that the main Bosch fuel pump (under the
car) now runs (we "smacked it with a hammer" at the advice of a local Bosch
technician who told me that these pumps tend to seize after sitting for an
extended period of time).  What is the best way to prepare one of these
pumps for long term storage?

Matt Swartz