5x100 mm wheels for Alfas

Kevin Smith asks:

<I know that my 87 Milano has a 5x98 lug pattern but several vendors are
trying to sell me 5x100.  <Can this work properly?  Does anyone have 5x100
wheels on a Milano?

I have a set of OZ Monte Carlos on my GTV6.  The GTV6 had the same 5 x 98 mm
pattern as the Milano.  I searched a long time before finding something to
fit.  What I ended up doing was talking to OZ directly in Florida.  Most of
their adds in magazines list the number in South Bend, IN for the Tire Rack.
If you call them, they will tell you that don't have anything to fit your
car.  Not true.  After speaking to OZ, I found that you can make a 5x100 mm
pattern work.  However, you must use a conversion kit.  A 5x100 pattern will
bolt right up to a 5x98 car, but you would be putting a side load on the
lugs an be asking for trouble.  The kit that OZ recommended allowed for that
1 mm of slop.
Here's how it works:  They use centering rings inside the wheel to match
your hub.  This is what actually centers the wheel to the car.  The other
part of the kit was basically a lug bolt (yes bolt) with a beveled washer
crimped on it so it could move around, but not come off.  The idea was that
the bolt would be in the correct location for your car, but the washer would
center up with the mating bevel on the wheel.  Now, what your thinking is
Hey, I don't have lug bolts on my Milano!  Neither did I on my six.
So after calling OZ back, I found out that this was the only kit they made.
So now I did not feel like drilling new holes in my rotor, so I used a
dremel tool to grind off the crimp on the beveled washers and removed them.
Then, I went to my local Auto parts store and bought some generic 12mm by
1.5 (please verify that size) lug nuts.  When you get the lug nuts, they
come with a standard bevel to mate up with a wheel.  In your case, the
washer from the kit will do this, so you need the lug nut to be flat on the
bottom.  I put mine in a lathe and machined them off flat.  When you do
this, make sure you will have enough threads left inside.  I found that some
of the aftermarket lug nuts did not have as deep of threads as others.
Now you are ready to assemble.  So with the centering ring in the wheel, put
it on the car.  Then put on the beveled washers and then the lug nuts.
It really isn't that difficult to accomplish.  It took me much longer to
find all the components than to put everything together.  I don't have the
part numbers from OZ handy, but I can probably find them if you are
interested.  I would also be willing to supply you with a sketch and or
photos of my components.
If you decide to go this route you will need to speak with Richard at OZ in
Florida.  He can give you the OZ part numbers for the kit and the wheel.  I
ordered the Monte Carlo which is 5x100mm (16" by 7.5" wide) and a 30 mm off
set.  I believe your car will have a 35 mm off set.This does set the  wheel
out further from the car, but the wider wheel needs it.  (stock wheels are
6.5" wide).

If this is too confusing to describe with words, don't hesitate to contact
me and I'll send you some more info.

Andy Happel
GTV6 3.0
164 L