Re: Alfa transport from Italy to the US

Wille R in Scandinavia wrote:

> I am asking on behalf of a friend.
>
> Anybody who knows about how to get a Duetto from Italy to the
> states. Info like fees and costs, phone numbers, addresses or
> experiences will be highly appreciated. The car is located in
> beautiful Napoli.
>
> Plus, does the need to be converted according to the US
> regulations?
>
> Saluti          Wille R
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Now more than 400.000 visitors!
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> http://www.veloce.alfaromeo.org
> http://www.come.to/veloce

Hi Wille,

There are three U.S. Agencies with requirements that must be met
in order for a non-U.S. standard car to be made legal.

    -  The Dept of Transportation

    -  The Environmental Protection Agency

    -  I forget the 3rd one - probably has to do with taxation,
        about which I have a mental block  :-)

The requirements are absolute.  I've read horror stories - ones
posted here and published elsewhere - over the years, of people
who personally imported Alfa's, including brand new ones, only to
have to send them back under threat of being destroyed by the U.S.
government as non-compliant.

~ Doug
94 164LS