re: AAV

Ralf said:

<<Try changing the air flow meter, my 91 acted the same way, I changed the air
flow meter and corrected the problem.>>

I did and no improvement.

<<On the 90 and newer spiders with Motronic the AAV is actually an ICM, idle
control motor, and controls the amount of air around the throttle body. You
can check this by applying 12 volts momentarily and the valve will open. You
can remove and clean this with chock cleaner and replace it. I found the
problem with mine was the seal, they get hard and allow air in around the
seal.>>

I have cleaned mine (both of them) several times.  No improvement.

<<I've had a seal ring on order from someone on the digest for about three
months now and haven't received it yet, so I took clear silicon sealer and
put it around the seal until I get my new seal ring. This took care of the
leaking seal problem.>>

I'll try your silicon trick.   This may be the solution.  Thanks very much.

Rob Murphy
90 Spider
99 VW Passat 1.8T
Coral Springs, FL