Re: 1750 crank nitrided?

>From: "Watry, Andrew" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
>I've torn down a 1969 US 1750 engine, preparing to rebuild it, and can't
>recall whether 1750 crankshafts are nitrided like the 2000 cranks.  Anyone
>know?  If so, does it present special problems if the crank need grinding?
>One of the rod bearings looked pretty bad, and I'm assuming that rod journal
>will be out of spec, though I haven't measured it yet.

Andrew

The 1750 crank is not nitrided and there are no special problems in
regrinding the journals to undersize. Rod and main bearings are available
in a range of sizes. For damaged cranks, it is also possible to reclaim the
journals by one of the metal-deposition processes, and you can spend a
whole heap of money if you wish and end up with a Lunati chromed crank!
Trouble is you can't see it once its in the engine; perhaps if someone
invented a transparent engine block..? like those transparent distributor
caps. Sorry about the non-serious later suggestions - its the mood I'm in.

By the way, don't be tempted to buy an Alfetta crank out of the same
capacity engine. Although these are nitrided, you'll find that quite a few
modifications are needed (flywheel bolt drillings, centring bush) before
you can use it in a 105/115 1750 engine.

Ciao tutti.

Les - Green GTV ok again and handling better than it was last week.......