Engines and motors

Irregardless of some opinions expressed herein I postulate that engine and
motor are synonyonymous for all practical purposes when used in connexion
with automobiles, cars, motorcars, vehicles, or other motorized conveyances
or transport. Consider the complimentary use of engine and motor, feel free
to improvise when using the English language. For the impossibly pedantic
among us of who I consider myself to be one always a stickler for correct
useage it is not indubitably incorrect to assume , possibly for the sake of
argument, that engine is the more inclusive word, that is to say, or in
other words, motor is a kind of engine but an engine need not be in any
respect whatever a motor as the Ancient Greeks would have been very upset
to learn they couldn't use engines just because motors hadn't been invented
yet.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada