92 164S remote

perhaps someone out there can help me w 2 very used remote door entry
fobs for my 92 164S--although they still function, the casings (black
w recessed push space) are near shot--while in seattle w my spider, i
brought the old remotes to an alfa dealer who sold me the updated
replacements-i waited while they programmed them

unfortunately on return to eugene oregon, they failed to work when i
tried them on the 164;  more recently, i tried the alfa dealer in
portland--i called to see if i could bring the car up w the
(non-working) new remotes and let them have a crack at it--their
helpful service coordinator was helpful in saying the trip wasn't
worth it as they had tried a significant number of times w other
cars--including his own 2 164s--and they couldn't get the darn things
to work either

so...i'm living on borrowed time--some options...can i get new
casings somewhere and transfer the guts?...can i find someone who can
get the new ones to work?  they look better designed!  must i bite a
complete security replacement?  are their other aftermarket door
lock/security sytems available that work as well or better?

any advice or direction would be appreciated--mark