Re: Who was the great driver at this event?

> From: Simon Favre <simon@domain.elided>

Thanks for Greg, Sixto, Brian, John, and Simon's reply.
I think Simon's got the facts right, and sorry for messing up
the facts... pretty much everyone who replied pointed out my
mistake... hm.. I need parity check for my memory :)

> 1991: Juan Manual Fangio is featured at the Historics. This is the first
> time a person is the honoree instead of a marque. Fangio did some laps in
> the 159, which was not running nearly as well as it was in 1985. He went
> out in a Mercedes (W125?) Grand Prix car with a MB camera car in front of
> him, driving at a rather pedestrian pace. The camera car spun out right in
> front of him, and being Fangio, he figured the safest place to be was out
> in front. He floored it. The crowd in the grandstands went ape when he came
> around at full chat with no camera car in front. I did not capture this on

To add some details from other's reply
Greg "the highly skilled drivers of the pace vehicles did claim that
despite driving the tires off their cars, they simply couldn't keep up with
the old buzzard"

John "a film crew paced him in a brand new MB 500SL"

Must've been great history to remember.

Jess <--- slightly related to Juan Manuel Fangio...
          Came to the USA from BS. AS. Argentina :) haha
          and for you 'murricans, that's "hoo-ann Ma-noo-'el 'Fan-hee-o" :)