Re:Replacing Veneer

Evan,

I need to make a correction to that post.  Putting a backing on the console
that sits between the seats makes the veneer sit proud of the veneer on the
shift console.  I don't have the solution yet.  My handbrake console top
surface is concave.  Maybe I can rivet the plastic to a metal plate on the
underside.  I'm also considering using a single piece of veneer to cover
both the shift console and handbrake console.  There's a company in Florida
USA that sells prefinished veneer that may work, but I'm still exchanging
email with them.  They say its pliable and the finish won't crack in a bend.
I need to find out how thick it is.

Also, use a spray varnish and sand between coats.  Don't use steel wool for
this.  Wrap a sponge with 400 grit sandpaper and sand in one direction only
with just enough pressure to take a light amount of dried varnish off.  I
haven't tried this on my GTV yet, but I got the tips from an avid woodworker
this past weekend.  Email me offline if you have any questions.

Lawrence Gowin
Network Engineering
Level 3 Communications
lawrence.gowin@domain.elided