Champaign Metallic paint color on a 1986 Spider Veloce

In AD7-993 Sid Trest writes " I have tried the usual sources but have come up
empty. My curiosity has finally gotten the best of me. The '86 Spider Veloce
that I recently bought is painted Champagne (gold) Metallic. A look inside
the trunk on the color plate (and the paint on the underside of the trunk,
hood and
other deeper recesses of the body) indicates that this is a valid original
factory color. However, none of the color brochures or sales literature for
1986 indicates that this color was available. I have seen a sales brochure
(CarDisc) that seems to show a 1982 "Limited Edition" in this color but the
specs are more along the lines of a Graduate and my car is definitely Veloce
trim Does anyone know any details about the 1986 models and why Alfa offered
this nonstandard, standard color?"

I don't know who the "usual sources" are or what color brochures for 1986 he
saw, but the chip-chart "Alfa Romeo 1986 Color Selections", Alfa Romeo Inc.
Part No. 8635, shows Champaign Metallic (with Desert Tan leather upholstery)
as one of the six standard colors on the 1986 Spider Veloce. A 7/1/85
technical Bulletin from ARI says, under the heading "1986 Color selections"
that Arctic White and Jet Black were continued colors while Alfa Red
(replacing Pininfarina Red), Stellar Blue Metallic and Champaign Metallic
were all "New Colors for 1986 M.Y." and adds that "Desert Tan is a new
interior color for 1986 M.Y." (The 1986 chip chart shows, but the ARI
Technical Bulletin does not mention, Sterling Silver Metallic as a
Quadrifoglio color.) A 1988 ARI Technical Bulletin listing 1987-88 colors
does not list Champaign Metallic, so it was evidently a one-year option. Note
however that there have been several other "Champaign Metallics" offered on
various models in other years.(AR 118, AR 826, and some have been offered
under other names (Champaign Beige, Bronzo Champaign). It is a good idea to
record the number on the trunk color label.

Cordially,

John H.