Re: Okay, show of hands...

>So... who here bought an Alfa Romeo Spider because you really wanted a
Miata but couldn't afford it?>

In 1992, I was looking for a new car and the first car that I drove was a
Spider.  That test drive is seared in my memory- it was the first Alfa that
I ever drove, and I remember thinking, "Ah ha, THIS is driving!"

Alas, with financing costs, the Alfa was $100 more a month than the Saab 900
that I was considering.  If I recall correctly, the Spider was a hair over
$20K, and the Saab was about $18K, and the Saab dealer was offering  .7%
financing.  And so, financial prudence and practicality set in, and I bought
the Saab.

Though the Miata was even cheaper than the Saab, I did not even remotely
consider it, well, because... it's a Miata and frankly, I thought it drove
like a Toyota without a top.

Sigh.  Fast forward eight years, and I think I have the best of both worlds-
a sturdy four seater, and my beloved Spider.

Robin

'67 Duetto
'92 Saab 900

Three more days until Monterey!