Niche marques

Scott Fisher wrote:

> I guess the moral here is that while there are strong business reasons
> for companies to treat their cars as a commodity product like a
> coffeemaker or a fast switching router or a commercial refrigeration
> unit (or to sell to buyers who do, which may be more to the point),

Which brings us back to the cars as applicance syndrome. How many people
test drive a coffeemaker or a fridge? (Most router manufacturers will
let you play with their gear before purchase if you're going to be
buying enough of them.)

A couple of years ago, just after we bought the 90, my mother bought a
low-milage, used Holden Nova (rebadged Toyota Seca). I simply could not
believe it when she purchased the car based on "it's a Toyota, it'll be
a good car", and a mechanical inspection report. SHE DID NOT TEST DRIVE
THE CAR.

Amazing.

Tony
1979 Alfetta 2000 (parting out)
1985 Alfa 90 2.5i
The Alfa 90 Page http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7709
- --
Tony Lupton                          *     Astracon (Australia) Pty Ltd
Learning Products Team Leader     *    *   303 Coronation Drive
Email: t.lupton@domain.elided       *    PO Box 1656
Phone: +61 7 3368 6926                     Milton Qld 4064
Fax:   +61 7 3368 6999              *      Australia