don't laugh at me (SPICA oil filter cover stud stripped)

Hi All,
Please don't laugh at me. I just noticed that (6 months ago, at the last oil
change) I stripped one of the studs that sticks out to hold on the cover
over the oil filter on the FI. Aaargh. The way I found out was that I
noticed a bit of dripping, decided to tighten down the nuts, and one
wouldn't tighten. I figured, oh well, the other two will hold it. Um, not
really. So next thing I know, my Alfa is doing its best impression of the
Exxon Valdez on the driveway. (Needless to say, I shut it off right way)
I called my mechanic today to have the stud extracted (I don't have time
before Concorso Italiano this Friday). He says that the FI pump needs to be
removed, and the bottom replaced, because usually the studs just break off
with an extractor. So my question is, does anybody know any tricks, or am I
as screwed as I think I am?
I swear I'm not ham-handed, really!
Thanks
Chris Keen