Milano Shift Linkage Question

For a net-impared friend:

Bob, could you plse post this for me.. do you have any ideas?

The external linkage on my '87 Milano broke: the small ball and socket (abt
10mm diameter) at the tranny disengaged, leaving me in the 3-4 gate.
I looked at it, I am hoping I can get to it just by disconnectins the front
of DeDion and dropping it a few inches.

Of course, tehre's nothing in the shop manual..

- -is this a common flaw?
- - what's the minimum I need to take apart to get to it? - hints/tips/advice
plse?
TIA
Jan in NJ  (boy I wish I could post to AD!)
email: ben@domain.elided