Re: Alfa's Return

normally I'd stay out of these types of threads, but i can't this time.

count me in on the side of those who wouldn't plunk down $30k for a new 156
twin spark.  personally, i'd be more inclined to buy a 146 at $20k (??).

I drove a 156 a couple of years ago.  granted, it was an anemic 1.6l, but in
my opinion, it made a nice competitor to a honda, not a bmw 3 series.  for
me, the design, not the performance, was its strong point.  i can only
conclude from everyone else's impressions, that the twin spark and V6
variants are much more capable cars.

but... there are a lot of very capable new cars in the $30k range.... and
less.

Fiat is in business.  in order for them to make the US market worthwhile,
they'd have to be selling lots of 156s to non-traditional alfisti.  take a
look at who's driving bmws, audis, vws.  for the most part, they are not
enthusiasts.  they want a stylish car that gets them from point a to b.  in
the US, their car will likely spend 90% of its time on straight roads,
driving at average speeds under 50 mph....... Unfortunately, Europe seems to
be heading in this direction as well.

bmw and vw, at least, have spent a lot of advertising money to develop an
image.  alfa would have to do the same, and would be burdened by the still
prevalant (and incorrect, in my experience) US image of italian cars being
unreliable and expensive to maintain.  perhaps they could target the youngest
consumers, who don't remember when Fiat and Alfa were sold in the US.  then,
they could start relatively fresh.  but, to court such an audience, they'd
need something a little cheaper (and more exciting) than a 156 twin spark.

just remember, the very reason why many digesters picked alfas to drive
(uniqueness) is probably the last thing the sales people at Fiat want to
hear.

sorry for rambling.....

bob brady, dvaroc