Gearbox

Hi Everyone,
I have just  finished restoring my 1971 GT Junior 105. I am only fixing
the mechanicals when needed. It has been off the the road for the past 5
years and I have owned it for 3 years. It is the first Alfa Romeo I have
ever owned after restoring many other makes of cars over the years. It
is a beautiful car to drive and enjoy. Today I took it on a 3 hour
drive. When it was time to leave my destination, I couldn't get it into
reverse gear. I had to be pushed out. Before I put it into 1st gear, I
tried reverse again and it worked fine. I drove for an hour before I
stopped again and reverse gear worked fine again. When I retuned home
after another 2 hours of high speed driving, I couldn't  get it into
reverse gear again. Any ideas to what my trouble is?
Thanks in advance,
Bert Steginga,
Brisbane, Australia