RE: Motors?

*********************
In #975, Jean Denis said:

"...on naked engines (please, "motors" are Electric!)"
***********************
Will Owen said:
"Okay, let's whip that dead horse one more time: an
ENGINE is any sort of mechanical device. A MOTOR is
any ENGINE that creates motion. Over the last hundred
years or so, it has become common to refer to internal
or external combustion motors as "engines," and to
reserve "motor" for the electrical variety, but that
is still merely convention: not incorrect, but not
uniquely correct either."
just to add more, we poor folks that learned English as a 2nd language
continue the habit of translating *literally* at least from Spanish and
Italian, since a car engine is called *motor* or *motore*.  So its easy to
call it *motor* in English, at least for us.  Kind of reminds me of the
Alfista-Alfisto problem.  Oh, please, not again!
Jorge, George, Georg, Giorgio, Giorgiu, Kevor, Keoki, take your pick.