Re: That DAMN spider

Walter,
OK here is my stab at it.  Altitude compensator is under the rear package
shelf.  82 and I think 83 didn't come with one, they had a plug and a
jumper loop.  If you went above 4000 feet you plugged the loop into the
plug(also under the package shelf).  By 84 they had a barometric switch
aka altitude  compensator, to test it unplug.  If you are below 4000 feet
the car will idle better.  This doesn't sound like it is your problem.

I haven't worked on a spider in six years but here goes.  Check ground
wires under fast idle valve(on valve cover), loosen bolt and wiggle wire
as you retighten.

I once worked on a spider that Alfa bought back because of an
intermittent no start problem. Turned out to be a bad Fi control unit (no
ground to the main relay).  To check,  look under the rear package, shelf
on the right side of car is a relay about 18mm on a side.  Ground the
black wire and try to start, If this fixes things then the control unit
is bad, but don't replace it, just cut the black wire and screw it to the
floor at existing ground point. this is an approved fix it came in a
service bulletin in 82.

I haven't followed all of this thread but have check the fuse to the main
relay?  follow the heavy red wire from the main relay till it meets the
fuse holder(still in the cockpit), they melt and give all kinds of
weirdness.

hope this helps.

Chris