RE: Ignition Timing Then and Now

<snip>
> Can anyone tell me why Alfa would publish a timing spec that was so
totally
> out of kilter? Was 40 degrees BTDC a reasonable timing setting in 1966,
and
> if so, why?

perhaps the octane of the fuel was higher in the 60's, allowing more
advanced timing and higher hp?

> P.S.: I've always heard that horsepower numbers from the sixties were
totally
> bogus. The dyno boys told me about Mustang club members who left the dyno
> disheartened after finding that their "390 h.p." big block engines only
put
> out a real 220-230 h.p.

i heard that all of the american hp figures were derived from running motors
on dynos with no accessories bolted on them.  while i don't think that would
account for 150 hp, it would certainly explain some of the difference
between quoted vs actual hp.

fwiw,

bs