Dead Spider ... the day after

I tried a number of things last night on my '83 spider and determined what
seems to be an intermittent problem with the fuel pump.  I believe there is
a short in the pump itself!!

I disconnected both wires from the started and hooked it up to my multimeter
and got continuity between the two posts.  Is this right?

I also put the multimeter on the two wires and with the key ON there didn't
seem to be any power.  I didn't have anyone there to crank so I didn't
measure the voltage at that point.

Walter
'83 Spider