re: 1970 changes

In describing changes in Alfa Romeo's 1970 models, I put two pieces of
information to suggest a possible explanation for specific changes to the
105 coupes in that year, speculating that the interior size of the coupes
was enlarged so they could continue to compete in FIA Group 2 Touring car
competition, where the rules for 1970 included new requirements for the
minimum interior dimensions.

John Hertzman wrote that he "would hang a question mark here" and "would
think that a manufacturer might lobby the rules committee on some details,
but new tooling to add appreciably to the habitability of the rear seats
would be justified primarily by marketing considerations."

Perhaps, but marketing is one of the reasons manufacturers participate in
touring car racing, and winning makes for better marketing than simply
being there.    Alfa Romeo's coupes had been winning in the 1960s, and I
would not be surprised if someone connected with the racing program
convinced someone in charge of production that they could continue to win
in the Touring class if the necessary changes, which I believe were quite
modest, were made.  However it happened, the decision was a sound one: Alfa
won the 1970 European Touring Car Championship with the 1750 GT Am.

Dana Loomis