Re: Static timing

Yes, I think Len and I are at odds only on the semantics. I may not
have been too clear on the last part. What I meant by rotating
backwards was before setting the timing, I rotate the rotor backwards
just to take up any slop in the drive and the advance mechanism. I
also rotate the body backwards with the light bulb hooked up. The
light is dark when the points are closed. It is lit when the points
are open. The spark fires when the points open. If I rotate the
body of the distributor forwards (clockwise), I'm retarding the timing.
If I rotate it backwards (counter-clockwise), I'm advancing the timing.
The way I usually do this is rotate the body forwards past the point
it needs to be, then take up any slack in the drive, then rotate the
body backwards until the light comes on. That way, I don't introduce
any additional slack in the drive. In the old days, I used to do this
with one of my father's cigarette papers. When the points had opened
just enough for a cigarette paper inserted in the points to slip out,
the timing was just right. ;=)