Re: 1970 changes

There is little to add to Dana Loomis' extensive listing of the changes from
first-series to second-series 1750 models, as enumerated in Quadrifoglio.
Fusi gives the 1969 Turin Motor Show (in November) as the date of
introductions. For the GT Veloce he also lists a heated rear screen, which he
does not mention for the Berlina. In the case of the GT 1300 Junior, he shows
the smoothnose and pendant pedals in photos captioned 'versione 1971'.

D'Amico & Tabucchi add that production of the GT 1300 Junior with the
traditional frontal treatment ends with chassis # 1257114, and says that the
new front was introduced at the Turin Show of 1970, along with the dual
circuit brakes, pendant pedals and an alternator. For the Spider 1300 Junior
they say that these changes were introduced in 1973.

Dana speculates that the interior size of the production 1750 (and 1300
junior) coupes was updated so these cars could continue to compete in FIA
Group 2 Touring car competition, where the rules for 1970 included new
requirements for the minimum interior dimensions. I would hang a question
mark here; I would think that a manufacturer might lobby the rules committee
on some details, but new tooling to add appreciably to the habitability of
the rear seats would be justified primarily by marketing considerations.

The "Corrector for headlight inclination according to load" listed by
Quadrifoglio for the Berlina is puzzling, as is the "tergicristallo con
bracci ad abbassamento totale" listed by Quadrifoglio and also by Fusi. Fusi
translates it as "totally disappearing wipers". My '72 Berlina has arms which
are bent at the end of the blade, paralleling the blade for the last six
inches or so, while my '69 Berlina has arms bent at the end only; the change
is reasonable enough but hardly 'abbassamento totale".

Does anybody out there know about the "Corrector for headlight inclination
according to load"?

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.