Re: The dipstick thing

Paul Witek is correct, some Alfettas had the dipstick in the sump, some had
it in the block. The early first series sedans and early coupes had it in the
pan; later first series sedans and coupes and all second series sedans had it
in the block. (US cars, can't say about other variants). The tubes and
dipsticks are different and should not be casually mixed.

Simon Favre mentions the possibility to drill a block in front of the motor
mount where the 101 motors had it, and advises against drilling into the side
of the rectangular pan. "It sounds like a sure recipe for leaks, and the pan
may crack. The metal is fairly thin at that point." I have seen some blocks
which had an undrilled boss where the late Alfettas had their dipsticks, and
some which did not. I would not hesitate to drill an undrilled boss, but
otherwise I would rather mess with the pan than with the block, especially
given the relative ease of building up material (or patching cracks) with
heliarc welding. However, an early Alfetta pan shouldn't be too hard to find.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.