Re:Fuel Filter

In a message dated 8/14/99 2:39:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I went to my local auto parts store and they got a reasonable match in
>  plastic using a Wix filter.  I dont have the number handy but it is for
>  Audi 4000's with 4 cylinder motors from I believe 81-87.  They cost 5
>  dollars and work fine.  Further they have a tab attached to them which
>  allows you to attach the filter securely without squeezing it the way
>  the original support does.
>
>  Try bringing your filter in (if you can) and tell them what its
>  application is and you should be able to get something that works well
>  for alot less.

I have always been told that the reason the Alfa filter was so much more
expensive is that it has something in it to remove water from the gas to
protect the SPICA pump.  Don't have a clue if it is true or not.  I found a
large Fram (no, lets ot start this again) filter for a Corvette that I
thought gave a large surface area to help prevent clogging and it had slip
joints on each end to allow the use of the stock hoses and clamps.  I don't
remember the number.  It was metal and much bigger around that the alfa so I
had to fashion an extension to the clamp but it worked very well.  I would be
hesitant to use a plastic bodied filter, but I can't argue with success.

Jerry in Houston